Caution for Candles

 As a teenager I remember loving the different smells coming from the variety of colored jars at the  candle store. There were hundreds of scents. From cinnamon to cupcake. I would buy votives, tapers, and tea lights to enjoy lit on my night stand. Little did I know that apart from making me want to buy out every pastry at the nearest bakery, the burning wax was  harmful to my health.

Many candles are full of poisonous chemicals because they are paraffin based with added artificial oils. Paraffin is a petroleum industry waste that is bleached. Ever breathed in bleach? It gives me an instant headache. Stearic acid is also added to harden the wax. That lovely ingredient is a byproduct of the meatpacking slaughterhouses. When burned, these candles can release carcinogens such as benzene and toluene into the air.

More and more candles are being made with vegetable waxes such as soy and palm but my favorite are beeswax. Beeswax is all non-toxic, non-polluting, non-allergenic, and has a delicious honey-sweet aroma. Beeswax produces negative ions which actually clean your air of odors, pollens, smoke, dust, dust mites, viruses and other allergens and hazards.  Beeswax candles leave your air fresher and cleaner – they are a true air purifier as opposed to an air quality destroyer.  

So when you crave a candle, whether for romance, bathtub time, reading, flattering light, or just for the warmth and the glow, try beeswax and let me know what you think!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s