Many of you know how much I love to travel and part of that process is packing. I daydream about it, predicting what will best serve me on my trip, and what I can leave behind. Thinking about what to bring leads me to visualizing all the fun I will be having and what I hope to experience. It makes me appreciate all I have, as I consider my favorite shirt, my sparkly earrings, and my luxurious toiletries. As a follower of Marie Kondo, I only buy things that “spark joy,” and so everything I own is awesome (at least to me…)!
Packing has become more of a challenge these days with “economy” flights now so common. We used to talk about having a hard time fitting everything into our carry-on luggage. Now, unless you feel like paying an extra fee on an economy flight, you are limited to a “personal item,” like a purse or a backpack. Sometimes I say forget it, and fork over the cash for the reasonable sized bag option, but more often than not, I rub my hands together, get a determined look on my face, and think “challenge accepted.”
- Clothing & Accessories: I wear my bulkiest items on the plane, my outfit usually consists of jeans, shirt, cardigan and/or jacket and a scarf. I pick clothes that roll up small and I think it terms of outfits. The bottoms I choose go with all of my top options. I almost always include at least one dress, because then no matching is required. Also, a tiny packing cube will hold my underthings and keeps them organized. A small Pixie Mood bag will hold cash, insurance card, chapstick, and jewelry. In my jacket pocket I will have a small card holder that only has a credit card and my ID to use in the airport. Cell phone also goes in the jacket pocket (which zips).
- Shoes: In the bottom of my bag go my Rothy’s (Use this link and get $20 off), they are flat, comfy, and take up very little space. I will also add a pair of flip-flops if I am going somewhere with a beach or pool. I wear booties or sneakers on the plane depending on the trip.
- Toiletries & Makeup: Toothbrush by quip, Thieves travel size toothpaste, for all my facial needs I use Eminence Organics, their starter kits contain perfectly sized products for travel and I bring a face wash & moisturizer (choose one with spf). Credo beauty has the most amazing toxic-free makeup and sample size hair products. I pack tinted lip conditioner by Ilia, lip whip by Kari Gran, and an eyebrow pencil. Ever since getting lasik, I also pack eye drops.
- The front pocket of my bag will hold: lavender wipes, which can be used to refresh or as hand sanitizer, a pen, cell phone charger, eye mask, earbuds, Mophie (portable charger), small tissue packet, and snacks (usually almonds or cashews).
- Supplements I don’t leave home without: Probiotic, Magnesium, Detox Greens, Peppermint or Ginger tea, & Immucore (feel free to contact me and I will send you my exact travel supplement protocol). I put these into a travel pill container and only bring what I need. I also bring 1/4 dram bottles of lavender, Vir Away, & peppermint essential oils for their many uses. Other additions usually include a B complex, and Pure Ratios CBD mints for fresh breath and calming benefits. I start taking Immucore a few days before the flight to boost my immune system and ensure I am healthy on my trip.
- If there is room: My facial gua sha tool, rescue cream, a tablet, & noice canceling head phones.
- The night before: Make sure everything is charged and download books, podcasts, music, and/or shows for airplane entertainment.
- Day of Flight: If I have a morning flight I make a smoothie and drink it right before I have to go through security. I make sure I drink plenty of water and cover myself with lotion because flights are so dehydrating and take all my supplements.
Personal Item Sized Bags to consider: Lo and Sons O.G., Herschell Retreat Backpack, The Samsonite Underseater
I’d love to hear from you! What are your travel essentials?